WEST ROME UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world
Member of the Wesleyan Covenant Association
A brief history of our church:
1951 - June:
The Executive Committee of the Rome District purchases a large lot with a house at the corner of South Elm Street and Shorter Avenue in order to establish a new Methodist church.
1951 - September:
A ten-day revival begins on the lawn under a tent in front of the house.
1951 - October 7:
The church officially opens.
Services move from the old house to the newly constructed Sanctuary.
Construction of the Education building is completed.
West Rome United Methodist Church has seen a lot of outreach ministries over the years, in our community and beyond. We have sent mission teams to Mexico, Israel, and Appalachia, we have sponsored English classes for those who speak Spanish, we have hosted an after-school program in conjunction with the YMCA.
Currently, we have missionaries in Haiti, Dominican Republic, and Honduras. Our Crisis Ministry conducts a twice-a-week food pantry for patients undergoing treatment for cancer, in conjunction with Cancer Navigators. Our Prayer Bear ministry spreads the love of God to people in need of encouragement during trying times. We conduct worship services every other Tuesday with the residents at Brookdale Assisted Living. And more!
Anyone looking to serve God and neighbor will find a way to do just that as a part of our church family! We welcome you with
open hearts, open minds, and open doors!